Headed by Peter Ballantyne, the KMIS team facilitates processes and activities at ILRI to generate, capture and organize, exchange and share information and knowledge. We aim to:
- Empower ILRI staff and our partners to capture, connect and share knowledge;
- Collect, organize and license all ILRI research products and outputs for maximum re-use;
- Extend the accessibility and visibility of ILRI’s research outputs;
- Present the ‘evidence base’ from our works for others to easily find and use;
- Enable better learning and communication across ILRI projects and locations;
- Improve the effectiveness of ILRI-led projects and research.
What are some of the things we do?
We set up and manage web sites and web communication platforms (external, internal, for events and projects); we help design and facilitate workshops and events; we support learning, communication and knowledge management processes; we design and publish a range of print and digital products (reports, video, photos, posters, training materials ...); we organize and publish information resources online; and we provide information access services to ILRI staff.
Read about our activities on our 'maarifa' blog
Our web communication and development team:
- develops and maintains ILRInet as an internal communication platform
- manages this ILRI website and support numerous project sites
- supports a range of social media tools and applications to promote, share and disseminate ILRI research
- documents project activities and events using digital tools as well as photos and video;
- produces online and offline training materials and other web products and services
ILRI Information Services support information discovery needs of researchers, other staff and partners and the wider livestock community. From two 'InfoCentres' located in Nairobi and Addis, information specialists manage journal subscriptions and provide reference and document delivery services. This team also ensures that research products of ILRI projects are published and indexed online to facilitate their availability and accessibility. Visit 'mahider', our repository of current research outputs; check out our multimedia resources published across the Internet
Our editorial and publishing services group manages the copy editing, design, layout, printing and distribution of different ILRI publications, reports, brochures and other materials. We maintain a pool of editors and people with related skills that ILRI projects can draw on; design and graphics specialists provide in-house design support for a range of scientific and corporate products such as web pages, brochures, images and logos, and posters. The team:
- Provides technical advice and guidance at all stages of publishing at ILRI
- Edits, designs and lays out documents
- Assigns ISBNs to ILRI publications
- Advises and guides staff on publishing and editing options for their outputs
- Provides a range of design and graphics services to staff.