The International Potato Center – Ethiopia (CIP) seeks to recruit two Junior Accountants who will be members of CIP for its regional programs in Ethiopia.
The Center: The International Potato Centre (CIP) is an international non-profit agricultural research organization with a global mandate to conduct research on potatoes, sweet potatoes, Andean root and tuber crops, and sustainable management of natural resources. CIP’s vision is to contribute from its areas of expertise to the fulfillment of the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs), in particular those goals that relate to poverty, hunger, child and maternal mortality, and sustainable development. CIP has its headquarters in Lima, Peru with staff and activities in locations across Africa, Asia and Latin America. CIP is a member of the Consultative Group for International Agricultural Research, a network of 15 research centers mostly located in the developing world and supported by more than 60 donor members.
- Under the direct supervision of the Research Associates for the Amhara and Oromia regions, manages all financial matters for the respective office; prepares payments in accordance with the procedures of USAID, Irish Aid ILRI and CIP rules and in accordance with the approved budgets:
- Prepares requests to the CIP Addis Ababa Office for the replenishment of funds for the office;
- Manages the petty cash float and ensures correct documentation of all transactions;
- Ensures that all payments are authorized by the Research Associates; codes the expenditure in accordance with the budget allocated to the office;
- Is responsible for timely payment of travel claims, utilities, material purchase, office supplies and transport for sub grantees. Ensures that all financial and contractual documentation is legal and in accordance with the donor rules;
- Compiles monthly financial return to the CIP Addis Ababa Office at the end of every month which includes the monthly cash/Bank account balance. In close coordination with CIP Addis Ababa, contributes to the preparation of financial reports and other reports as required;
- Responds to queries from internal units or staff members.
Logistics and Administration;
- In coordination with the Office and Finance Manager in Addis Ababa, receives requests for services from sub grantees internal clients, promptly prepares the required paperwork for their processing by either internal units or governmental departments;
- Facilitates the procurement of goods and services from local suppliers and ensures that relevant procurement guidelines and mandatory documentation are adhered to;
- Ensures that the contracts for office and other services are renewed on time;
- Monitors vehicle movement and submits vehicle reports with copies of the vehicle log book to the CIP Addis Ababa Office at the end of every moth along with the financial return;
- Performs any other task as required.
Skills and Competencies:
- Integrity and capacity to keep information confidentially;
- Good skills in MS Excel;
- Good computer skills;
- Ability to organize assigned duties and respect deadlines;
- Ability to organize one’s paperwork and archives efficiently;
- Ability to establish and maintain good relations with a wide array of personalities both within and outside the organization.
- For the Oromia position – excellent Oromiffa language skill (oral and written);
- Diploma or BA degree in Accounting/Finance or in related field.
- At least 2 years of relevant work experience,
- Good understanding of budgeting and financial management procedures with good knowledge of accounting software – use of Agresso Business World is desirable.
Duty Station: Amhara Region – will be based at Bahir Dar.
Oromia Region – will be based at Addis Ababa.
Minimum Base: Birr 9,326 (Negotiable, depending on experience, skill and salary history of the candidate).
Terms of appointment: This is Nationally Recruited Staff (NRS) positions, initial appointment is fixed term for one year with the possibility of renewal, contingent upon individual performance and the availability of funding. The ILRI remuneration package for nationally recruited staff in Ethiopia includes very competitive salary and benefits such as life and medical insurance, offshore pension plan, etc. The ILRI campus is set in a secure, attractive campus in Addis Ababa. Dining and sports facilities are located on site.
Applications: Applicants should provide a cover letter and curriculum vitae; names and addresses (including telephone and email) of three referees who are knowledgeable about the candidate’s professional qualifications and work experience to be included in the curriculum vitae. The position, duty station and reference number for the position should be clearly indicated in the subject line of the cover letter. All applications to be submitted online on our recruitment portal: http://ilri.simplicant.com/ on or before 02 May 2015.
To find more about CIP, visit our Website at www.cip.cgiar.org.
To find out more about working at ILRI visit our website at http://www.ilri.org/ilricrowd/
Suitably qualified women are particularly encouraged to apply.