Vacancy Number: RT/BECA/08/14
Department: BecA-ILRI Hub
Duration: 3 years’ Contract
The International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI) seeks to recruit a Research Assistant to provide high level technical support to visiting scientists and graduate students (research placements) conducting research projects in genomics, bioinformatics and genotyping at the BecA-ILRI Hub.
ILRI works with partners worldwide to enhance the roles that livestock play in food security and poverty alleviation, principally in Africa and Asia. The outcomes of these research partnerships help people in developing countries keep their farm animals’ alive and productive, increase and sustain their livestock and farm productivity, find profitable markets for their animal products, and reduce the risk of livestock-related diseases. www.ilri.org
ILRI is a not-for-profit institution with a staff of about 700 and in 2014, an operating budget of about USD83 million. A member of the CGIAR Consortium working for a food-secure future, ILRI has its headquarters in Nairobi, Kenya, a principal campus in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, and offices in other countries in East, West and Southern Africa and in South, Southeast and East Asia. www.cgiar.org
ILRI also manages the Biosciences eastern and central Africa (BecA) Hub at ILRI, the centre for excellence in modern plant and animal biology in Africa. BecA is an initiative developed within the framework of the New Partnership for Africa’s Development (NEPAD)/ African Union African Biosciences initiative. It consists of a Hub based on the ILRI campus in Nairobi, Kenya and a network of regional nodes and other affiliated laboratories and organizations throughout the region. The BecA Hub facilities are world class, including a range of molecular, plant transformation, and genomics laboratories and equipment (e.g. 454 and Illumina next generation sequencing, Biosafety level 3 laboratory, plant growth facilities). The Hub hosts and conducts research in crop, microbe and livestock areas where new developments in science offer promise to address previously intractable problems constraining Africa’s development. Capacity building is a major goal of all activities. The scope covers agriculture and food security and their intersections with human health and nutrition, and the sustainable use of Africa’s natural resources. Further information is available at http://hub.africabiosciences.org/
• Provide high level technical support in genomics, bioinformatics, genotyping and genotyping data analysis for research placements at the BecA-ILRI Hub;
• Develop work plans, budgets and ensure research compliance for research placements;
• Assist in developing and conducting individual and group training in molecular-based technologies, including the annual molecular biology and bioinformatics workshops;
• Conduct research under supervision of research scientists;
• Ensure observation of good laboratory practice, good laboratory etiquette and research ethics
• Facilitate weekly laboratory meetings and monthly journal club for research placements;
• Prepare and edit SOPs for the laboratory manual;
• Coordinate purchase requisition of consumable stock items;
• Coordinate with ILRI engineering and lab manager to ensure that the laboratories and equipment are in good working order;
• Participate in institutional training and seminars.
• MSc in biological sciences with no less than 3 years post masters relevant experience;
• Knowledge and demonstrated experience in Genomics, bioinformatics, genotyping and genotyping data analysis;
• Strong English language skills, both written and spoken;
• Excellent organisation and problem solving skills;
• Computer literacy in MS Office;
• Excellent communication, training and interpersonal skills.
Terms of appointment: This is a Nationally Recruited Staff (NRS) position based at ILRI’s Nairobi campus and is for a three year contract period; renewable subject to availability of funds and individual performance. Salary and benefits will be in line with those provided by ILRI.
Job level and salary: This position is job grade 2D with a starting gross salary of KES166,536 per month. In addition ILRI currently offers medical insurance for staff and dependents, Life insurance, Pension at 12.5% employers contribution, Annual holiday entitlement of 30 days+ public holidays within ILRI’s National Recruited Staff Scheme.
How to apply: Applicants should send a cover letter and CV explaining their interest in the position, what they can bring to the job and the names and addresses (including telephone and email) of three referees who are knowledgeable about the candidate’s professional qualifications and work experience to the Director, People and Organizational Development. All applications should be submitted through our recruitment portal http://ilri.simplicant.com by 3 September 2014.
The position title and reference number REF: RT/BECA/08/14 should be clearly marked on the subject line of the cover letter.
To find out more about working at ILRI visit our website at http://www.ilri.org/ilricrowd/
ILRI is an equal opportunity employer