The International Potato Center – Ethiopia (CIP) seeks to recruit two Research Associates to its Tigray and SNNPR regional programs in Ethiopia.
The Center: The International Potato Centre (CIP) is an international non-profit agricultural research organization with a global mandate to conduct research on potatoes, sweet potatoes, Andean root and tuber crops, and sustainable management of natural resources. CIP’s vision is to contribute from its areas of expertise to the fulfillment of the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs), in particular those goals that relate to poverty, hunger, child and maternal mortality, and sustainable development. CIP has its headquarters in Lima, Peru with staff and activities in locations across Africa, Asia and Latin America. CIP is a member of the Consultative Group for International Agricultural Research, a network of 15 research centers mostly located in the developing world and supported by more than 60 donor members.
- Liaises with sub-grantees and partners;
- Ensures the successful and cost-effective implementation of project activities;
- Organizes and follows up on out-scaling activities which involves procurement and distribution of planting material;
- Manages project funds in accordance with approved budgets and facilitates payment requests;
- Contributes to the timely preparation of project Action Plans, Budgets and Progress Reports;
- Contributes to the development of Concept Notes and Proposals;
- Provides technical backstopping to partner organizations;
- Plans and executes field activities, including well designed research, crop cuts, seed multiplication and post-harvest activities;
- In coordination with partner organizations, plans and organizes field and promotional activities;
- Contributes to the enhancement of seed and ware value chains of both crops;
- Facilitates the establishment of technically and economically viable Seed Producer Cooperatives;
- Identifies training needs, prepares, plans and implements relevant training courses and workshops;
- Contributes to project M&E activities and report writing;
- Identifies, documents and shares best practices and innovations;
- Performs other duties as required.
Skills and Competencies:
- Team worker with staff management experience;
- Problem solving skills and strong result-orientation;
- Proven negotiation and interpersonal skills;
- Excellent organizational skills;
- Capacity to work under pressure with minimum supervision;
- Excellent English (oral and written);
- Fully computer literate;
- For the Tigray position – excellent Tigregna language skill (oral and written).
- Master of Science degree in Agriculture (Horticulture) or first degree plus a relevant post graduate qualification.
- At least 3 years of work experience in agriculture/agricultural development programs involving GO and NGO stakeholders;
- Solid work experience with potato and/or sweetpotato agronomy and seed production;
- Previous work experience with NGOs or the private sectors a strong plus.
Duty Stations: Tigray Region – will be based at Mekele city;
SNNP Region – will be based at Hawassa city;
PLEASE NOTE THAT APPLICANTS NEED TO SPECIFY THE REGION THEY ARE APPLYING FOR AND THE APPLICATIONS WHICH DON’T HAVE THIS INFORMATION WILL BE DISREGARDED.
Minimum Base: Birr 19,078 (Negotiable, depending on experience, skill and salary history of the candidate)
Terms of appointment: This is a Nationally Recruited Staff (NRS) position, initial appointment is fixed term for one year with the possibility of renewal, contingent upon individual performance and the availability of funding. The ILRI remuneration package for nationally recruited staff in Ethiopia includes very competitive salary and benefits such as life and medical insurance, offshore pension plan, etc. The ILRI campus is set in a secure, attractive campus on the outskirts of Addis Ababa. Dining and sports facilities are located on site.
Applications: Applicants should provide a cover letter and curriculum vitae; names and addresses (including telephone and email) of three referees who are knowledgeable about the candidate’s professional qualifications and work experience to be included in the curriculum vitae. The position and reference number: REF: A/014/15 should be clearly indicated in the subject line of the cover letter. All applications to be submitted online on our recruitment portal: http://ilri.simplicant.com/ on or before 06 April 2015.
To find more about CIP, visit our Website at http://www.cip.cgiar.org
To find out more about working at ILRI visit our website at http://www.ilri.org/ilricrowd/
Suitably qualified women are particularly encouraged to apply.