Vacancy Number: A/039/14
Department: Engineering & Facilities Management
Duration: 2 years’ contract
The International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI) seeks to recruit a Mechanical Technician who will be a member of the Engineering & Maintenance Facilities Management team under Administration in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
General: The International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI) works at the crossroads of livestock and poverty, bringing high-quality livestock science, communications and capacity building to bear on poverty reduction and sustainable development. ILRI is one of 15 centres supported by the Consultative Group on International Agricultural Research (CGIAR). ILRI has campuses in Kenya (headquarters) and Ethiopia, with other offices located in other regions of Africa (Mali, Mozambique, and Nigeria) as well as in South Asia (India, Sri Lanka), Southeast Asia (Laos, Thailand, and Vietnam) and East Asia (China). http://www.ilri.org.
The purpose of the Mechanical Technician is to provide mechanical service.
- Performs scheduled maintenance service on plumbing systems and fixtures,
- Plans and develops own work schedules, equipment usage schedules and procedures for equipment maintenance,
- Performs preventative maintenance work as required. Inspects the work of Plumbers and Trades Helpers, initiates corrective action to secure satisfactory standards and timely project completion,
- Determines time for work, material and labor estimates, maintains, up-to-date system material records, and submits reports,
- Participates in maintenance, repair and installation duties in collaboration with the electrical team members and trades.
Skills and Competencies
• Diploma in Plumbing and/or Sanitary from a recognized college
• At least 5 years of relevant work experience
Specialized skills required for this job:
• Possess cultural awareness and sensitivity
• Maintains safety procedures at all times to avoid injury
• Ability to cope with pressure
• Reliable team player and customer oriented with good interpersonal skills
Duty Station: Addis Ababa
Minimum Base Salary: Birr 8,395 (Negotiable, depending on experience, skill and salary history of the candidate)
Terms of appointment: This is a Nationally Recruited Staff (NRS) position, initial appointment is fixed term for two years with the possibility of renewal, contingent upon individual performance and the availability of funding. The ILRI remuneration package for nationally recruited staff in Ethiopia includes very competitive salary and benefits such as life and medical insurance, offshore pension plan, etc. The ILRI campus is set in a secure, attractive campus on the outskirts of Addis Ababa. Dining and sports facilities are located on site.
Applications: Applicants should provide a cover letter and curriculum vitae; names and addresses (including telephone and email) of three referees who are knowledgeable about the candidate’s professional qualifications and work experience to be included in the curriculum vitae. The position and reference number: REF: A/039/14 should be clearly indicated in the subject line of the cover letter. All applications to be submitted online on our recruitment portal: http://ilri.simplicant.com on or before 25 June 2014.
To find out more about ILRI visit our website at http://www.ilri.org
To find out more about working at ILRI visit our website at http://www.ilri.org/ilricrowd/
Suitably qualified women are particularly encouraged to apply.
More ILRI jobs
Subscribe by email to ILRI jobs alert