POSITION ANNOUNCEMENT – INTERNAL
International Potato Center – Ethiopia (CIP)
29 June 2016
The International Potato Center – Ethiopia (CIP) seeks to recruit a Junior Accountant to its Emergency Response Project and who will also be a member of CIP Ethiopia Office.
The Center: The International Potato Centre (CIP) is an international non-profit agricultural research organization with a global mandate to conduct research on potatoes, sweetpotatoes, Andean root and tuber crops, and sustainable management of natural resources. CIP’s vision is to contribute from its areas of expertise to the fulfillment of the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs), in particular those goals that relate to poverty, hunger, child and maternal mortality, and sustainable development. CIP has its headquarters in Lima, Peru with staff and activities in locations across Africa, Asia and Latin America. CIP is a member of the Consultative Group for International Agricultural Research, a network of 15 research centers mostly located in the developing world and supported by more than 60 donor members.
- Manages all financial matters for the above-mentioned Project, prepares payments in accordance with the procedures and rules of USAID and CIP and in accordance with the approved budgets;
- Prepares requests to the CIP Addis Ababa Office for the replenishment of funds for the project;
- Manages the petty cash float and ensures correct documentation of all transactions;
- Ensures that payments up to Birr 1,000 are authorized by the Project Agronomist and all payments above Birr 1000 are authorized by the project manager; and codes the expenditure in accordance with the budget allocated to the project;
- Compiles monthly financial report and submits to the CIP Addis Ababa Office at the end of every month which includes the monthly cash/Bank account balance and budget v/s actuals;
- All expenditure incurred during the month will be sent to Addis at the end of the month for review and approval by the project manager;
- Follows–up with the service providers and local suppliers in SNNP Region with regards to submission of documentation and financial liquidation;
- In close coordination with CIP Addis Ababa, contributes to the preparation of financial reports and other reports as required;
- Responds to queries from internal units or staff members in a timely manner.
- In consultation with the relevant staff prioritizes, plans and executes purchase process for technical and specialized procurement of supplies, equipment and professional services;
- In coordination with the Procurement Officer and Office and Finance Manager in Addis Ababa, the Junior Accountant communicates with suppliers, bidders, contractors and work orders;
- Facilitates the procurement of goods and services from local suppliers and ensures that relevant procurement guidelines and mandatory documentation are adhered to;
- Ensures that the contracts for office and other services are renewed on time;
- Maintains an updated database for the inventory and supplies as applicable;
- Monitors vehicle movement on project-related activities and submits vehicle reports with copies of the vehicle logbook to the CIP Addis Ababa Office at the end of every month along with the financial return;
- Performs other duties as required.
- Diploma or BA degree in Accounting/Finance or in related field.
- At least 2 years of relevant work experience,
- Good understanding of budgeting and financial management procedures with good knowledge of accounting software – use of Agresso Business World is desirable.
Skills and Competencies:
- Integrity and capacity to keep information confidentially;
- Good skills in MS Excel;
- Good computer skills;
- Ability to organize assigned duties and respect deadlines;
- Ability to organize one’s paperwork and archives efficiently;
- Ability to establish and maintain good relations with a wide array of personalities both within and outside the organization.
- Good team player and good problem solving skills
- Capacity to work under pressure with minimum supervision
- Excellent Amharic and English. Knowledge of other languages in SNNPR is a plus
- Working experience in data management.
Duty Station: Hawassa, Ethiopia
Position level: 2A
Minimum Base salary: Birr 10,445 per month (Negotiable, depending on experience, skill and salary history of the candidate).
Terms of appointment: This is Nationally Recruited Staff (NRS) position, initial appointment is fixed term for nine months. The ILRI remuneration package for nationally recruited staff in Ethiopia includes very competitive salary and benefits such as life and medical insurance, offshore pension plan, etc.
Applications: Applicants should provide a cover letter and curriculum vitae; names and addresses (including telephone and email) of three referees who are knowledgeable about the candidate’s professional qualifications and work experience to be included in the curriculum vitae. The position and respective reference number: REF: RA/028/16 should be clearly indicated in the subject line of the cover letter. All applications to be submitted online on our recruitment portal: http://ilri.simplicant.com/ on or before 6 July 2016.
To find more about CIP, visit our Website at http://www.cip.cgiar.org
Suitably qualified women are particularly encouraged to apply.