Vacancy Number: A/051/14
Institute: Department: International Center for Agricultural Research in the Dry Areas (ICARDA)
Duration: 3 years’ contract
The International Center for Agricultural Research in the Dry Areas (ICARDA) seeks to hire a Programme Management Officer for its Ethiopia office located at the International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI) Addis Ababa campus.
General: The International Center for Agricultural Research in the Dry Areas (ICARDA) is an international autonomous, non-profit, research organization temporarily based in Beirut, Lebanon supported by the Consultative Group on International Agricultural Research (CGIAR). ICARDA is committed to the improvement of livelihoods of the resource-poor in dry areas by enhancing food security and alleviating poverty through agricultural research, and the equitable use of natural resources. For more details: http://www.icarda.org
- In consultation with Regional Coordinator,, oversees office administrative functions and directly supervises a number of office support staff including performance management, work planning and reviewing of job descriptions;
- Participates in office management and staff meetings, serving as Secretary and ensuring follow-up on action items;
- Provides leadership and management of all aspects of the administrative unit and ensures that office systems run efficiently and in a coordinated manner;
- Reviews administrative functions, structures and procedure and makes recommendations for changes, and oversees their implementation;
- Supports the Regional Coordinator and other research staff in recruitment and engagement of consultants;
- Maintains updated staff/supervisor list and organizational chart;
- Develops efficient filing systems and databases for print and electronic files/documents;
- Coordinates receiving and assisting of visitors;
- Coordinates local and international travel, meetings and workshop logistics and subsequently verifies related expense reports;
- Coordinates purchase/ requisition and distribution of office furniture, equipment, stationery, and other office supplies;
- Supports the preparation of local payment and consultant requests as necessary;
- Manages office equipment such as the printer/copier and coordinating maintenance of offices, office furniture and standard equipment such as computers, printers, phones;
- Reviews and drafts documents (e.g. concept papers, proposals and reports) to check conformity to agreed templates, and consistency with project objectives, work plans and/or milestones;
- Progress report preparation and overall assistance to the Regional Coordinator , maintaining a tracking system to monitor milestones and status of deliverables in work plans, notify staff of impending due dates and assist in organizing/coordinating workshops/conferences, and assist visitors;
- Assists Regional Coordinator and Accountant in the preparation of budgets, including budgets for overall office operations and individual projects/programs;
- Works closely with ICARDA and ILRI Finance to ensure correct budget codes are communicated and used for charges, and that financial reports conform to ICARDA and donor/investor guidelines/formats.
- Master’s Degree in Business Administration, Programme Management or related field.
- At least 5 years relevant experience in programme management working in international research/development or similar organizations.
- Professional training / certification in project management an advantage.
- Required for this job (communication, report writing, computer and electronic media skills etc.)
- Knowledge of administrative/financial management of donor funded projects/programs;
- Experienced in developing and managing work plans, results-based budgets and monitoring and reporting progress and reviewing proposals;
- Fluency in oral and written English
- Experience in coordinating programmes with numerous partners;
- Team player with good communication and coordination skills;
- Attention to detail is essential;
Duty Station: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Position level: 3A.
Minimum Base salary: Birr 27,556 per month (Negotiable, depending on experience, skill and salary history of the candidate)
Terms of appointment: Initial appointment is for a three years, renewable appointment based on performance and funding availability. ICARDA offers a multicultural, collegial research environment with competitive salary and excellent benefits in line with ILRI salary applicable for its Nationally Recruited Staff. ICARDA is an international and equal opportunity organization and believes that diversity of its staff contributes to excellence.
The ILRI campus is set in a secure, attractive campus on the outskirts of Addis Ababa. Dining and sports facilities are located on site.
Applications: Applicants should provide a cover letter and curriculum vitae; names and addresses (including telephone and email) of three referees who are knowledgeable about the candidate’s professional qualifications and work experience to be included in the curriculum vitae. The position and reference number: A/051/2014 should be clearly indicated in the subject line of the cover letter. All applications to be submitted online on our recruitment portal: http://ilri.simplicant.com/ on or before 18 August 2014.
To find more about ICARDA, visit our Website at www.icarda.org.
To find out more about working at ILRI visit our website at http://www.ilri.org/ilricrowd/
Suitably qualified women are particularly encouraged to apply.