The Position: The International Crops Research Institute for the Semi-Arid Tropics (ICRISAT) seeks to recruit an Accountant who will provide efficient and quality service in the field of finance and accounting in accordance with International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS), ICRISAT Financial policies and Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) and who be a member of ICRISAT Ethiopia located at the International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI), Addis Ababa campus.
General: General: The International Crops Research Institute for the Semi-Arid Tropics (ICRISAT) is an international organization, one of the 15 CGIAR centres, which conducts agricultural research for rural development in drought-prone of Africa and Asia, headquartered in Patancheru (Hyderabad, Telangana, India) with several regional centers (Bamako (Mali), Nairobi (Kenya)) and country offices, including in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. ICRISAT adopts integrated genetic and natural resources management as its overarching research strategy to improve productivity and enhance resilience of dryland systems. ICRISAT-Ethiopia works with national partners on availing technologies to dryland farmers and agro-pastoralists, enhancing technology utilization, linking farmers to markets, and strengthening the national capacity.
• Registration of incoming invoice (Accounts Payable and advance) in Sun System 6 as per the guidelines;
• Ensure that all payment vouchers have correct Account & Budget codes, attach all the supporting documents and seek proper authorization;
• Ensure timely posting of all project expenses and monitor allocated budgets to avoid overruns. Ascertain that project expenses are in conformity with donor guidelines and requirements;
• Prepare and record the details of Petty Cash Fund transactions and currency conversion transactions in the General Ledger;
• Check the accuracy and compliance of petty cash expenditure and its timely replenishment;
• Prepare monthly cash position report including forecasted project and other expenditure;
• Ensure the availability of enough cash at the bank and liaise with HQ for transfer of operating cash to ICRISAT Addis office;
• Prepare monthly bank reconciliation and pass the necessary adjusting entries;
• Participate in the closing of monthly and annual books of accounts;
• Review monthly charges from ILRI, assign proper account and budget codes, prepare and send the monthly posting summaries to Nairobi;
• Check and verify Travel advances and Travel Expenses Claims/Accountabilities as per the relevant travel policy;
• Register Partnership advance liquidation per the financial reports and prevailing guideline;
• Registering Vehicle Mileage recharges in posting summaries on timely manner;
• Use and manage accounting software e.g. Sun Systems
• Liaise with Regional Office for Eastern and Southern Africa in Nairobi, ICRISAT HQ and ILRI regarding financial and accounting related matters;
• Assist with the facilitation of annual/external audits including donor audits;
• Perform other duties as requested.
• BA degree in Accounting or related fields from a recognized University
• A minimum of 5 years’ experience in a Non-Governmental Organization or an International Organization
• Must be an IT literate in use of Microsoft packages and conversant with ERP application software such as Suns systems 6 or Agresso Business World used for financial management
Duty Station: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Terms of appointment: This is a Nationally Recruited Staff (NRS) position, initial appointment is for two years with the possibility of renewal, contingent upon individual performance and the availability of funding. The ILRI remuneration package for nationally recruited staff in Ethiopia includes very competitive salary and benefits such as life and medical insurance, offshore pension plan, etc. The ILRI campus is set in a secure, attractive campus on the outskirts of Addis Ababa. Dining and sports facilities are located on site. The ILRI campus is set in a secure, attractive campus with dining and sports facilities.
Applications: Applicants should provide a cover letter and curriculum vitae; names and addresses (including telephone and email) of three referees who are knowledgeable about the candidate’s professional qualifications and work experience to be included in the curriculum vitae. The position and reference number: REF: A/47/18 should be clearly indicated in the subject line of the cover letter. All applications to be submitted online on our recruitment portal: http://ilri.simplicant.com/ on or before 26 December 2018.
To find more about ICRAF, visit our Website at http://www.icrisat.org.
To find out more about working at ILRI visit our website at http://www.ilri.org/ilricrowd/
Suitably qualified women are particularly encouraged to apply.
More ILRI jobs
Subscribe by email to ILRI jobs alert