The International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI) seeks to recruit a Program Accountant to provide financial support to the Program ranging from monitoring grant spending, reviewing all charges posted to the projects to be accurate and timely, managing Partner spending, posting expenses and reversals as needed, preparation of Financial Reports, assisting in processing payments among other duties.
ILRI works to improve food and nutritional security and reduce poverty in developing countries through research for efficient, safe and sustainable use of livestock. It is the only one of 15 CGIAR research centres dedicated entirely to animal agriculture research for the developing world. Co-hosted by Kenya and Ethiopia, it has regional or country offices and projects in East, South and Southeast Asia as well as Central, East, Southern and West Africa. www.ilri.org
1. Financial Accounting, project management and donor reporting
- Develop and maintain appropriate databases to ensure project financial management is done to meet various program financial demands
- Prepare all projects payment requests for sub-grantees in collaboration with Project Manager (PM) and Project Leaders
- Follow up with finance to ensure timely payments to sub-grantees and ensure transfer advices are shared with partners
- Ensure project partners’ financial returns are submitted. Review advance requests and financial returns by partners with reference to contractual obligations and partner financial obligations liquidation effected in the One Corporate System (OCS)
- Prepare detailed monthly, quarterly and annual internal financial reports as requested by PM highlighting issues on over/under expenditure and adjustment of wrong postings in the system and also to facilitate monitoring and tracking of project finances, and decision making by Project leaders
- Maintain proper financial and project records of projects both soft and hard.
- Prepare donor financial reports/statement in collaboration with PM, Project Leaders and Finance department and maintain appropriate compliance donor reporting databases
- Compute project accruals annually and during project close outs and ensure they are captured in the system
- Raise invoices & follow up reimbursements and transfer advices from partners/donors
- Lead project specific audit and support external/internal audit as may be found necessary
- Support annual budget preparation by working with PM
2. Proposal development- budget development
- Participate in meetings during proposal development
- Provide advise especially in unit costs etc. towards development of proposal budgets
- Prepare proposal budgets for review by PM and Project Leader
- Upload project budgets to the OCS System.
3. Project settlements reports, travel expense reports, travel authorizations (TAs), requisitions
- Review Project Settlements Reports, Travel Expense Reports and TAs
- Review of all Terms of References for Program staff and consultants before approval by project leaders. Ensure that all support documents have been attached /provided for
- Bachelor of Commerce (Finance option)
- Master of Business Administration (Finance option) will be an added advantage.
- Full accounting qualifications CPA (K) or ACCA
- Experience with projects Accounting
- Minimum of three years of relevant working experience
- Good personal organizational skills, accuracy and attention to detail
- Good communication and interpersonal skills
- Highly effective multi-tasking skills, with ability to coordinate, prioritize and organize workload and meet deadlines
Terms of Appointment
These are Nationally Recruited Staff (NRS) position; based at Nairobi, Kenya and open to Kenyan nationals only.
The position is on a 3-year contract, renewable subject to satisfactory performance and availability of funding.
This position is job level 2c Level 2, ILRI offers a competitive salary and benefits package which includes; pension, medical and other insurances for ILRI’s Nationally Recruited Staff.
How to apply: Applicants should send a cover letter and CV expressing their interest in the position, what they can bring to the job and the names and addresses (including telephone and email) of three referees who are knowledgeable about the candidate’s professional qualifications and work experience to the Director, People and Organizational Development through our recruitment portal http://ilri.simplicant.com/ on or before 28 March 2018. The position title and reference number REF: PA/AHH/03/18 should be clearly marked on the subject line of the cover letter.
ILRI does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing or training). ILRI also does not concern itself with information on applicants’ bank accounts.
To find out more about ILRI, visit our websites at http://www.ilri.org/
To find out more about working at ILRI visit our website at http://www.ilri.org/ilricrowd/
ILRI is an equal opportunity employer.