The Position: The African Development Bank has funded through its African Development Fund “Technologies for African Agricultural Transformation (TAAT) program, which is a flagship initiative in support of the Bank’s Feed Africa Strategy. The objectives of the TAAT Program are to scale up proven agricultural technologies and achieve a widespread and transformative impact on African agriculture in terms of enhancing productivity, food security, income and poverty alleviation.
ICARDA is implementing the wheat component within the frame of TAAT Program, which will be executed in low-income African countries. The project activities are conducted within BCI program in close collaboration with the National Agricultural Research and Extension System (NARES,) private sector and other relevant partners in the project target countries.
ICARDA seeks to hire a TAAT Wheat Value Chain Project – Technology Transfer Specialist to provide a technical support in scaling up activities and participate in establishing and operationalizing innovation platforms (IP)s. The position provides critical support to national partners to link IP participating farmers with output markets and who will be a member of ICARDA-Ethiopia team.
General: The International Center for Agricultural Research in the Dry Areas (ICARDA) is an international autonomous, non-profit, research organization temporarily based in Beirut, Lebanon supported by the Consultative Group on International Agricultural Research (CGIAR). ICARDA is committed to the improvement of livelihoods of the resource-poor in dry areas by enhancing food security and alleviating poverty through agricultural research, and the equitable use of natural resources. For more details: http://www.icarda.org
• Participate and support national partners in establishing and operationalizing functional IPs at selected sites in project target countries;
• Provide technical support for implementing scaling up activities in partnership with NARES, private sector and other stakeholders in each project target country;
• Contribute to technology dissemination activities, seed production, and prototype mass production through promoting a participatory research for development approach;
• Provide technical and coordination support to organize field days for promoting and expanding IP based success stories and best practices leading to a transformative and nation-wide impact in each target country and across the similar agro-ecology;
• Coordinate and support regional and national partners to link IP participating farmers with output markets;
• Develop/enhance/expand collaboration and networking among all partners involved in the wheat value chain in the target agro-ecology;
• Organize and participate focused and hands-on trainings with national partners to build capacity of farmers and stakeholders on improved production and post-harvest management techniques in the target countries;
• Coordinate and assist national partners in preparing and widely distributing technical production manuals, fliers, leaflets, brochures for IP participating farmers and stakeholders in the target countries;
• Participate and assist in organizing annual planning and joint coordination meeting with project partners;
• Perform any other duties as required by the PIU coordinator.
• Masters’ degree in Agricultural Extension, Agricultural Economics/ Agronomy/Soil Management or related fields + professional certification
• Proven ability in business plan development, innovation system approach and demonstrated skill in partnership development, negotiation and team coaching.
• Ability to set priorities, plan, implement and effectively monitor field level technology transfer activities.
• Effective oral and written communication skills in English, in addition to any national or regional language.
• Ability to work harmoniously in interdisciplinary and multicultural teams.
• Five years’ relevant experience in African countries
• Work experience at least in part in an international Non-Governmental Organization or an international organization
Duty Station: Addis Ababa.
Job level: 3C.
Monthly Base Salary: Birr 51,874 (Negotiable depending on experience, skill and salary history of the candidate)
Terms of appointment: This is a Nationally Recruited Staff (NRS) position, initial appointment is for three years. ICARDA offers a multicultural, collegial research environment with competitive salary and excellent benefits in line with ILRI salary applicable for its Nationally Recruited Staff.
The ILRI campus is set in a secure, attractive campus with dining and sports facilities.
Applications: Applicants should provide a cover letter and curriculum vitae; names and addresses (including telephone and email) of three referees who are knowledgeable about the candidate’s professional qualifications and work experience to be included in the curriculum vitae. The position and reference number: REF: TTS/30/18 should be clearly indicated in the subject line of the cover letter. All applications to be submitted online on our recruitment portal: http://ilri.simplicant.com on or before 5 October 2018.
Suitably qualified women are particularly encouraged to apply.
More ILRI jobs
Subscribe by email to ILRI jobs alert