The International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI) seeks to recruit an institutional veterinarian in charge of the care and health of animals at the ILRI Farm as well as supporting scientist during their trials/experiment.
ILRI works to improve food and nutritional security and reduce poverty in developing countries through research for efficient, safe and sustainable use of livestock. It is the only one of 15 CGIAR research centers dedicated entirely to animal agriculture research for the developing world. Co-hosted by Kenya and Ethiopia, it has regional or country offices and projects in East, South and Southeast Asia as well as Central, East, Southern and West Africa. www.ilri.org
- Be on call for all veterinary cases (emergency, routine, post mortem and surgery);
- Keep records of all treatments, post mortems, surgery and vaccinations in ODK;
- Organize and implement routine;
- De-worming of all farm animals;
- Vaccination (FMD, Entertoxaemia and other where required); prepare a FMD vaccination report and keep a signed copy at the Farm Unit;
- Carry out weekly routine check-up of all farm and research animals;
- Monitor and supervise weekly spraying of animals;
- Carry out for all animals arriving on to the Farm:
- Health check up
- Castration of male animals;
- Carry out post mortem of any animal dying on the farm within 24 hours and submit report to Research Facility Manager;
- Provide technical support to ILRI animal research experiments as per IACUC protocol;
- Provide veterinary support for ILRI (incl Kapiti) during disease outbreak and control, update ILRI on any current disease outbreaks in Kenya and make recommendations to avoid exposure of ILRI animals;
- Be the institute veterinarian on the animal care and welfare issues at IACUC (4 meetings per year);
- Carry out monthly audits on research facilities, animal welfare and health and provide monthly reports to Research Facility Manager and IACUC chairman; immediately report to the Research Facility Manager, DDG Bioscience and IACUC Chairman about any potential or actual breaches that could pose research-related, reputational or other risks to ILRI;
- Review and provide technical advice on animal units Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) and research and training protocols using animals and ensure full compliance with regulatory requirements in Kenya;
- Assess training needs and participate in training of animal health technicians;
- Work in close collaboration with the Research Facility Manager, Supervisor SAU, Supervisor LAU.
- Assist in sourcing of animals for research
- Bachelor’s degree in Veterinary Medicine
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in relevant field
- Be a registered with KVB/KVA
- Excellent writing and oral communication skills in English
Terms of Appointment
This is a Nationally Recruited Staff (NRS) position based at ILRI.
It is open to Kenyan nationals only. The position is on a 3-year contract, renewable subject to satisfactory performance and availability of funding.
This position is job level 3B ILRI offers a competitive salary and benefits package which includes; pension, medical and other insurances for ILRI’s Nationally Recruited Staff.
How to apply: Applicants should send a cover letter and CV expressing their interest in the position, what they can bring to the job and the names and addresses (including telephone and email) of three referees who are knowledgeable about the candidate’s professional qualifications and work experience to the Director, People and Organizational Development through our recruitment portal http://ilri.simplicant.com/ on or before 1 March 2019. The position title and reference number REF: IV/02/2019 should be clearly marked on the subject line of the cover letter.
ILRI does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing or training). ILRI also does not concern itself with information on applicants’ bank accounts.
To find out more about ILRI, visit our websites at http://www.ilri.org/
To find out more about working at ILRI visit our website at http://www.ilri.org/ilricrowd/
ILRI is an equal opportunity employer.