The Position: The International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI) seeks to recruit a Driver who will provide support for Africa RISING Project Basona Woreda site in Debre Birhan.
General: ILRI works with partners worldwide to enhance the roles that livestock play in food security and poverty alleviation, principally in Africa and Asia. The outcomes of these research partnerships help people in developing countries keep their farm animals alive and productive, increase and sustain their livestock and farm productivity, find profitable markets for their animal products, and reduce the risk of livestock-related diseases.
A member of the CGIAR Consortium working for a food-secure future, ILRI has its headquarters in Nairobi, Kenya, a principal campus in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, and offices in other countries in East, West and Southern Africa (Mali, Mozambique and Nigeria) and in South Asia (India and Sri Lanka), Southeast Asia (Laos, Thailand and Vietnam) and East Asia (China). www.ilri.org.
- Undertakes any driving assignments of light ILRI vehicles to ensure safe, courteous and coordinated movement of goods, staff and visitors to authorized destinations;
- Maintains assigned vehicles to the highest standards of cleanliness, reporting service condition, accident/incidents and defects promptly;
- Adheres to the Vehicle Management Policy and comply with rules and guidelines;
- Oversees safety and security of vehicles assigned at all locations and during travel.
- Undertakes driving assignments of vehicles as and when assigned by his/her supervisor;
- Operates, maintains and cleans assigned vehicles with care and reports any damage and/or suspected fault immediately to his/her supervisor;
- Responsible for safe transport of staff, guests and materials assigned to him/her;
- Ensures that the vehicle is kept overnight in a secure location and that the vehicle key is handed over to the supervisor, unless explicitly agreed on otherwise by the supervisor;
- Records and maintains the transport log-book for any vehicles assigned to him/her;
- Responsible for the vehicles and all tools, equipment and spare parts on the vehicle assigned to him/her;
- Liaises with his/her supervisor to ensure that routine service and maintenance is undertaken timely;
- Carries out errands and performs as required;
- Completion of secondary education.
- Good working knowledge of written and spoken English is essential;
- Knowledge of local languages for the respective regions is a requirement;
- Automotive background is advantageous;
- Experience in driving articulated trucks/buses is advantageous.
- Valid driving license for land cruisers.
- 5 Five years of relevant experience and safe driving record.
Duty Station: Debre Birhan, Ethiopia
Minimum Base Salary: Birr 6,268 (Negotiable, depending on experience, skill and salary history of the candidate)
Terms of appointment: This is a Nationally Recruited Staff (NRS) position, initial appointment is for three years with the possibility of renewal, contingent upon individual performance and the availability of funding. The ILRI remuneration package for nationally recruited staff in Ethiopia includes very competitive salary and benefits such as life and medical insurance, offshore pension plan, etc. The ILRI campus is set in a secure, attractive campus on the outskirts of Addis Ababa. Dining and sports facilities are located on site.
Applications: Applicants should provide a cover letter and curriculum vitae; names and addresses (including telephone and email) of three referees who are knowledgeable about the candidate’s professional qualifications and work experience to be included in the curriculum vitae. The position and reference number: REF: D/42/2016 should be clearly indicated in the subject line of the cover letter. All applications to be submitted online on our recruitment portal: http://ilri.simplicant.com/ on or before 10 November 2016.
To find out more about ILRI visit our website at http://www.ilri.org
To find out more about working at ILRI visit our website at http://www.ilri.org/ilricrowd/
Suitably qualified women are particularly encouraged to apply.