The International Potato Center – Ethiopia (CIP) seeks to recruit a Research Assistant II – Potato Breeding position to its Sub-Saharan Africa (SSA) Breeding Program who will also be a member of CIP Ethiopia Office.
The Center: The International Potato Centre (CIP) is an international non-profit agricultural research organization with a global mandate to conduct research on potatoes, sweet potatoes, Andean root and tuber crops, and sustainable management of natural resources. CIP’s vision is to contribute from its areas of expertise to the fulfillment of the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs), in particular those goals that relate to poverty, hunger, child and maternal mortality, and sustainable development. CIP has its headquarters in Lima, Peru with staff and activities in locations across Africa, Asia and Latin America. CIP is a member of the Consultative Group for International Agricultural Research, a network of 15 research centers mostly located in the developing world and supported by more than 60 donor members.
- Focus of work in this position lies on greenhouses;
- Assists in planting material preparation and maintaining progenitors and breeding stocks,
- Assists in the implementation of crossing block and tuber family generation including nursery
- Conducts planting of greenhouse multiplication, plant and crop management, harvest, storage in DLS and cold store
- Handles planting materials produced in the tissue culture laboratory for aeroponics, hydroponics and acclimatization in the greenhouse
- Documentation and data collection, as indicated by CIP potato breeder and CIP Research Associate;
- Supervises permanent Holetta Agricultural Research Centre (HARC) staff and casual workers involved in CIP potato breeding work, documents presences and absences and assists the CIP Research Associate in making relevant payments;
- Prepares germplasm for distribution to partners and farmers;
- Liaises with HARC staff and management;
- Performs other duties as required
- At least a relevant college Diploma or BSc degree in Breeding or related field
- At least 5 years for college diploma or 2 years of relevant work experience for BSc holders in greenhouse and field trials
- Breeding and potato trialing work experience a strong plus
- Applied knowledge in experimental design and field trial management;
- Experience of working in screen house, nursery, aeroponics or hydroponics in terms of crop management;
- Collaborative style and ability to multi- task effectively;
- Proactive and creative attitudes;
- Good written and verbal communication skills in English are required;
Duty Station: Holetta Agricultural Research Center (HARC), Ethiopia
Minimum Base: Birr 12,536 (Negotiable depending on experience, skill and salary history of the candidate).
Terms of appointment: These are Nationally Recruited Staff (NRS) positions, initial appointment is fixed term for one year for both positions with the possibility of renewal, contingent upon individual performance and the availability of funding. The ILRI remuneration package for nationally recruited staff in Ethiopia includes very competitive salary and benefits such as life and medical insurance, offshore pension plan, etc.
Applications: Applicants should provide a cover letter and curriculum vitae; names and addresses (including telephone and email) of three referees who are knowledgeable about the candidate’s professional qualifications and work experience to be included in the curriculum vitae. The position and respective reference number: REF: RA/022/16 should be clearly indicated in the subject line of the cover letter. All applications to be submitted online on our recruitment portal: http://ilri.simplicant.com/ on or before 14 June 2016.
To find more about CIP, visit our Website at http://www.cip.cgiar.org
Suitably qualified women are particularly encouraged to apply.