Enhancing livestock investments: policies, strategies and partnerships for sustainable livelihoods in Africa
Building a stronger economy, improving equity and livelihoods and creating a greener future through sustainable livestock policies.
Join us at the side event Enhancing Livestock Investments: Policies, Strategies and Partnerships for Sustainable Livelihoods in Africa as we tackle critical issues hindering Africa's livestock sector. We will explore sustainable solutions, innovative financing and policy support to unlock the sector's potential. Expert insights will examine themes including investment mechanisms, policy strategies and sustainability.
What has worked? What are the challenges we still face? Together, policymakers, investors, researchers and practitioners can expect to enhance their partnerships and increase knowledge-sharing to advocate for impactful policies and develop innovative financing models, ensuring equitable, resilient and green livestock systems in Africa.
Facilitators: Tsehay Gashaw and Cynthia Mugo, ILRI
Keynote address: Sarah Ossiya, project lead, African Union–Interafrican Bureau for Animal Resources (AU-IBAR)
- Tebogo Seleka, dean, Botswana University of Agriculture and Natural Resources (BUAN)
- Sirak Bahta, senior agricultural economist, ILRI
- Stephen Michael, director of privatization, Ministry of Livestock and Fisheries, Tanzania
- Isabelle Baltenweck, program leader, Policies, Institutions and Livelihoods, ILRI
- Laura Cramer, policy engagement specialist, Sustainable Livestock Systems, ILRI
- Ahmed Elbeltagy, AU-IBAR
- Siboniso Moyo, deputy director general, research and development – biosciences, ILRI
- Liang Wang, World Bank country representative for Botswana
- Philip Kiriro, former president, East Africa Farmers' Federation
- Patrick Malope, head, Department of Agricultural and Applied Economics, BUAN
Organizers: BUAN, ILRI