In 2013 the partners in the ILRI-led and BMZ-funded project Safe Food Fair Food spent most of their time in the field conducting rapid assessments and baseline surveys in Ethiopia, Senegal, Tanzania and Uganda. Nonetheless, a number of publications were finalized. Nine more students from the previous project phase (2008-2011) graduated since the end of 2012 – congratulations!
- Appiah, Joy: Assessment of the risk of consuming milk/milk products contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes from the informal markets. MPhil thesis. Legon, Ghana: University of Ghana.
- Bomfeh, Kennedy: Risk assessment for Listeria monocytogenes in traditionally processed fish from informal markets in Accra and Tema. MPhil thesis, Univesity of Ghana. Legon: University of Ghana
- Traoré, Sylvain Gnamien : Risques de contraction des affections à Vibrio spp. et à Paragonimus spp. liés à la consommation des crabes et des crevettes vendus sur les marches d’Abidjan et de Dabou. PhD thesis, Université Nangui-Abrogoua, Abidjan, Côte d’Ivoire.
- Kouamé-Sina, Sylvie Mireille: Contribution to risk management for microbial contamination and genotypic diversity of Bifidobacterium species isolated from local milk production chain in Abidjan. PhD thesis, Université Nangui-Abrogoua, Abidjan, Côte d’Ivoire.
- Toyomaki, Haruya: An estimation of thermophilic Campylobacter population in ready-to-eat roast beef and chicken and the hygiene practices of sellers in beer bars in Arusha, Tanzania. BVSc dissertation. Japan: Rakuno Gakuen University.
- Amenu, Kebede: Assessment of water sources and quality for livestock and farmers in the Rift Valley area of Ethiopia: Implications for health and food safety. PhD thesis. Hohenheim, Germany: University of Hohenheim.
- dos Muchangos, Ana Bela Cambaza: Prerequisites for HACCP in small-scale poultry production. MSc thesis in Veterinary Science. Pretoria, South Africa: University of Pretoria.
- Qekwana, Daniel Nenene: Occupational health and food safety risks associated with traditional slaughter practices of goats in Gauteng, South Africa. MMedVet dissertation. Pretoria, South Africa: University of Pretoria.
- Ramrajh, Shashi: Participatory risk assessment for harvesting of impala (Aepyceros melampus) and the distribution of by-products. MMedVet dissertation. Pretoria, South Africa: University of Pretoria.
In addition to the published theses, six peer-reviewed publications, seven presentations at international conferences and more than 10 technical contributions were made at stakeholder workshops, trainings and seminars this year. They are available through the (free) ILRI online repository.