The Regional Strategic Analysis and Knowledge Support System (ReSAKSS) is an Africa-wide network of regional nodes established in 2006 under the Comprehensive Africa Agriculture Development Programme (CAADP). It supports implementation of CAADP efforts to promote evidence and outcome-based policy planning and implementation.
The high-quality analyses and knowledge products generated go a long way in improving policymaking, tracking progress, and deriving lessons for the implementation of the CAADP agenda and other agricultural and rural development policies and programs in Africa. It is facilitated by the International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI) in partnership with the Africa-based CGIAR centers, the NEPAD Planning and Coordinating Agency (NPCA), the African Union Commission (AUC), and the Regional Economic Communities (RECs). The Africa-based CGIAR centers and the RECs include: International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) and the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) for ReSAKSS–WA; the International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI) and the Common Market for Eastern and Southern Africa (COMESA) for ReSAKSS–ECA; and the International Water Management Institute (IWMI) and the Southern African Development Community (SADC) for ReSAKSS–SA.
ReSAKSS has been established with funding from the United States Agency for International Development (USAID), the UK Department for International Development (DFID), the Swedish International Development Cooperation Agency (SIDA), and the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation (BMGF).
Target countries have been assisted to establish platforms to inform policy and program planning and implementation using local expertise, data and analytical products. Following the successful completion of two phases, a third phase, ReSAKSS Phase III has been initiated. The aim is to consolidate the role of ReSAKSS in providing technical support to strengthen and empower national and regional systems and capacity for monitoring impact and evidence-based analysis in planning, implementation, and review of agricultural policies and programs. This will be achieved through several objectives.
- Expanding data collection efforts and M&E capacity in national and regional systems for the expanded set of CAADP core indicators based on the 2015–2025 CAADP Results Framework.
- Supporting African Union member states and RECs to consolidate and strengthen their agriculture joint sector reviews (JSRs) at the country and regional levels in line with CAADP biennial review and mutual accountability processes.
- Providing technical support to the CAADP biennial review process and reporting.
- Conducting strategic analysis to fill knowledge gaps on emerging and time-sensitive issues.
- Supporting the appraisal and preparation of the next generation of national agriculture and food security investment plans (NAIPs).
- Strengthening capacities at the regional and country levels for data collection, policy analysis, M&E, review, and dialogue through targeted training and collaborative work.
- Expanding the ReSAKSS knowledge platform through a redesigned interactive website.
- Migrating ReSAKSS nodes to independent regional entities with appropriate management and governance structures.
- Support expansion of the number of countries with successfully operating SAKSS platforms to meet technical and institutional capacity needs for adequate data, analytical tools, and advisory services.