MoreMilk: Making the most of milk
The MoreMilk project aims to generate research evidence on how informal milk markets can be leveraged to improve nutrition and health, especially in peri-urban settings. The overall objective of the project is to improve child health and nutrition outcomes through milk consumption.
- assessing how markets and policies influence the quantity and safety of milk consumed in Nairobi, Kenya and Dar es Salaam, Tanzania;
- assessing the health and nutrition benefits of a successfully piloted informal dairy sector intervention (a trader training, certification and marketing scheme), through a randomized control trial in Nairobi;
- assessing the potential reach of the dairy trader training and certification intervention, as well as bridges and barriers to scale and sustainability through surveys in India, Kenya and Tanzania;
- assessing the drivers of milk consumption in dairy farming households in rural Kenya and Tanzania and developing a social behaviour change communication strategy for milk consumption; and
- scoping priority areas for food safety investments with a focus on Burkina Faso, Ethiopia and Nigeria.