This project uses a One Health approach to tackle zoonotic diseases by strengthening capacities of national partners in surveillance, early detection and emergency response, disease prevention and control, and laboratory science.
Emerging and re-emerging zoonotic diseases such as Middle East respiratory syndrome coronavirus, Ebola, rabies and avian influenza pose a major threat to humans and animal health globally. These diseases may have a wildlife reservoir or involve domestic animals.
In Southeast Asia, continued losses of livestock due to transboundary diseases such as African swine fever have revealed major weaknesses in the public health and veterinary services. Vietnam has been identified as a hotspot for transboundary animal and emerging zoonotic diseases in the region.
This project uses One Health to ensure a multidisciplinary and multi-sectoral approach to addressing the threat of zoonotic diseases. It also strengthens the capacities of national partners in surveillance, early detection and emergency response, disease prevention and control and laboratory science (serology and diagnostics). The project will inform policy formulation to improve the management of transboundary animal and emerging zoonotic diseases.
- Conduct gap analysis of the current registration of transboundary animal and emerging zoonotic diseases (disease prioritization process using a One Health approach)
- Establish One Health transboundary animal and emerging zoonotic diseases surveillance working groups and set up networks among them and with key surveillance partners
- Conduct a pilot study for a surveillance and monitoring system using ICT responding to transboundary animal and emerging zoonotic diseases with authorities and relevant stakeholders
- Deploy tools and methods to improve the surveillance of transboundary animal and emerging zoonotic diseases
- Develop strategies to improve agricultural extension services and share equal benefits and rights for women through gender-focused interventions
- Evidence-based One Health strategies and policies for the government
- Knowledge and information on One Health research and policies in Vietnam
- Institutional capacity to support development of a One Health strategy and action plan
- List of prioritized transboundary animal and emerging zoonotic diseases and recommendations
- Strengthened human and animal disease monitoring and surveillance
- Establishment of a surveillance and monitoring system through mobile application along livestock value chains
- Cost-effectiveness control strategies for animal and zoonotic diseases
- Strengthened knowledge and understanding on emerging gender issues in livestock farming
- Strengthened capacity to integrate gender in livestock programs and project