The National Institute of Veterinary Research (NIVR) is a leading research institute in animal health working to improve animal health in Vietnam. The International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI) works to improve food security and reduce poverty in developing countries through research for better and more sustainable use of livestock. ILRI and NIVR have been collaborating for 10 years and their partnership has been strengthened through several research projects funded by CGIAR including the CGIAR Research Program on Livestock in Vietnam (Livestock CRP).
ILRI and the Center for Tropical Agriculture (CIAT) are implementing a new project of the CRP Livestock in Son La, Vietnam. This program aims to translate livestock research into integrated transformative interventions leading to the improvement of livelihoods and diets/nutrition of ethnic communities in Northwest through sustainable livestock solutions. The animal health component of this Livestock CRP project will evaluate the major impacts of animal health constraints on productivity and livelihoods, implement targeted herd health intervention and address key constraints related to access to animal health services in the selected communes in Son La province.
NIVR and ILRI seek to recruit a research assistant to support the implementation of this animal health component.
The research assistant animal health will support the implementation of the Vietnam priority country project in the province of Son La, in collaboration with the different partner institutions.
- To facilitate participatory research, including assessments and community engagement, for animal health interventions
- To establish field trials and other experiments as per the Livestock Vietnam project proposal
- To implement data collection and to assist in research analysis and reporting
- To coordinate with local partners and community groups research planning, implementation, and monitoring and evaluation
- To ensure an efficient communication flow between local partners and the CRP Livestock Vietnam country team
- To undertake other relevant tasks as assigned by work supervisors linked to animal health works in the framework of NIVR-ILRI collaboration.
- University degree or MSc in veterinary medicine with advanced post graduate qualifications in epidemiology, public health or in veterinary bio sciences (microbiology and immunology etc.)
- Minimum 2 years’ relevant experience with clinical veterinary medicine
- Experience in participatory research and management of field trials
- Experience with field work, data collection
- Capacity to work independently in remote areas and able to cope with heavy intermittent workloads extending beyond office hours
- Willingness to travel and to spend time in the field
- Ability to work in interdisciplinary and international team, very good interpersonal and communication skills.
- Excellent written and spoken English and Vietnamese
- Publication record (conference or paper) is a plus
Terms of Appointment: This position is a jointly appointed by NIVR and ILRI and will be recruited through National Institute of Veterinary Research with work stations between NIVR and ILRI Hanoi Office, Vietnam for one year with the possibility of renewal, contingent upon individual performance and continued funding.
How to apply: Applicants should send a cover letter and CV explaining their interest in the position, what they can bring to the job and the names and addresses (including telephone and email) of three referees who are knowledgeable about the candidate’s professional qualifications and work experience to Bui Nghia Vuong, Virology Department, NIVR at firstname.lastname@example.org with copy to Thanh Nguyen, ILRI at email@example.com.
Application Deadline: 31 January 2020